Re: Listener cannot read SERVICE_NAME in TNS-Descriptor

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:52:14 -0800

Axel Dachtler wrote:

>>EXACTLY what did not work?
>>EXACTLY what was the error message?

> I added a new database MYBD to the tree. But I cannot access MYDB. I
> get this message:
>
> ORA-12514: TNS:Listener couldn't dissolve SERVICE_NAME in connection
> descriptor
>
> (translated from German into English!)
>
> That is in my tnsnames.ora:
>
> MYDB =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = axel-0560nntbn1)(PORT =
> 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = mydb)
> )
> )
>

> Thanks
> Axel
  1. What Operating System (OS)?
  2. What OS version?
  3. What is contents of listener.ora file
  4. EXACTLY what are you doing to generate the ORA-12514 error?
  5. If you are logged onto the actual database server system DIRECTLY, then SQL*Net and Listener is NOT required to connect to the database.
  6. "ping axel-0560nntbn1" produces what output? (without double quote marks)
  7. lsnrctl status produces what output?
  8. while logged onto the database server what is produced when the following is entered at the command line? sqlplus / as sysdba exit