Re: Oracle 9i problem

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:41:36 GMT

NTidd wrote:

> Since we have upgraded to oracle 9i every day or so we have to go in
> and shutdown oracle and restart it, here is what we do:
>
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect sys as sysdba
> password:
> connected to an idle instance
> shutdown
> ORA-01034 Oracle not available
> ORA-27101 Shared memory realm does not exist
> startup
>
> Then it starts up and works fine for another day or so.
>
> This is running on a Windows 2000 machine with 512mb ram, 2 1.8GHz
> processors.
>
> Any ideas?

Windows 2000 Server? Oracle9i Release 1?

(I'd certainly be looking at upping the memory a bit - I'd expect 512M/CPU, but that's likely off topic!)

In the above you do not need to shutdown. It's already shut down, recognizable by the 'connected to an idle instance' message and the reason for the ORA-01034/27101. (Nothing wrong with your procedure though.)

TSTO - something's terminating the Oracle instance. Any chance you've got Windows Update running and rebooting the machine automatically? Or some other utility? Do you have Oracle's services auto-starting after reboot? What else is running on the machine? Is there a job consistently running immediately prior to the 'crash'? Can you monitor for memory leaks? Received on Thu Dec 04 2003 - 17:41:36 CET

Original text of this message