Error changing Character Set

From: M Mueller <melissa_mueller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2003 13:24:56 -0800

OS - Windows NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
DB Version - 8.1.7.4.1

When trying to change the Character Set from US7ASCII to WE8MSWIN1252, we complete the following steps from SVRMGR, connected as internal:

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
STARTUP MOUNT EXCLUSIVE;
ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION;
ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;
ALTER SYSTEM SET AQ_TM_PROCESSES=0;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET WE8MSWIN1252; Here we receive the following oracle error:

ORA-01679: database must be mounted EXCLUSIVE and not open to activate

The strange part is that this has worked on two other database servers. One is the same Oracle version, but on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The other database is the same Oracle version and same operating system.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Melissa Mueller
mmueller_at_lanvision.com Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 22:24:56 CET

Original text of this message