Re: On the subject of Data Warehouses, Data Cubes & OLAP....

From: John Keeley <duvinrouge_at_servihoo.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2003 02:58:13 -0700

A very challenging post.
Nothing wrong with a bit of scepticism!

You are right about there being a huge amount of marketing hype. Some people I suspect are not getting a return on their datawarehouse/olap investment.
There are people (mainly sales people) in the Business Intelligence industry who have little business intelligence.

However, despite saying this there is indeed a good case for having a datawarehouse & olap.

Take a insurance company for instance.
They have a huge amount of data collected in their transactional systems.
The money comes in over a certain time period & the money going out in claims goes out over a longer time period. Insurance companies can easily think they are doing better than they really are unless they are analysing their data well.

The first point is the transactional data is usually in more than one system - the data needs to be brought together. The classic EXTRACT, TRANSFORM & LOAD.
This is no mean task bringing all the data together in a coherent way. Often it is done wrongly, but the rewards are there if done well. The reward can be a high as ensuring the survival of the business. Sure, this datawarehouse is just a database, but it is a database built for decision making.

And the second point is when making decisions, the analysis of the data is done at a highly aggregated level - OLAP. Yes, just another database, but a multidimensional one for speed (pre-aggregates) & ease of end user navigation.

Many years ago when I first worked in a Management Information team we just used spreadsheets for storing the data. Then we used an Access database. Then we used OLAP; specifically TM1. The advantages were big. The management could ask for just about anything & we could do it in minutes. Now there is Microsofts SQL Server 2k & Analysis Services bringing together the datawarehouse & OLAP. A powerful way of working. Have you not looked at it?

I suggest you get a copy of Analysis Services & Reed Jacobson's book "Analysis Services: Step by Step" play with it for a couple of weeks & then see if you think ALL datawarehousing & olap is a con or not.

I wonder what brand of datawarehousing/olap you have come up against? Name names!

Regards,

John

www.johnkeeley.com