Re: Speeding Intermedia Query

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 01:59:34 GMT

"Angel Faus" <afaus_at_corp.vlex.com> wrote in message news:7a7a07a.0310020839.997c0b_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> First of all, thanks for answering.
>
> > So you can't change the application which infers that the application is
> > some sort of vender application.
>
> I can change the application, but my application _needs_ to perform a
> dozen intermedia queries to create a single web page. This is an
> intrinsic bussines requirement, not a side-effect of poor
> implementation.
>
> > Tom Kyte's book Expert 1 on 1 Oracle. I would look up stored outlines
 and
> > see if there is something there. Additionally, I would call up the
 vendor
> > and complain. Poorly written application code is over 90% of the time
 the
> > reason the application performance and scalability are in the toilet.
 If
> > you can prove it then so much the better. (do they use bind variables,
 do
> > they parse once and execute many times, etc.)
>
> Yep. But I did say that, as far as I know, the application code is
> well implemented. We do use bind variables, whenever we can we parse
> once and execute many times, etc.
>
> > You need to find your bottle neck (statspack is a good tool to help with
> > this) and then attach the problem that way. There is no way we can
> > reasonably tell you how to speed things up without a lot of detailed
> > information.
>
> I have used statspack, and tkprof, and everything, and the conclusion
> is that the bottleneck is, simply put, that oracle _has_ to do a lot
> of work to do what I am asking it to do.
>
> From you answers I gather that I did not correctly formulate the
> question.
>
> Let me try again: supposing there are no big mistakes in the
> application, and supposing that we believe that there is a IO
> bottleneck, what is the most efficient hardware answer to this?
>
> I can imagine some of them:
>
> - Adding more disks and stripping the data between them.
> - Moving to a 64 bits server with insane amounts of RAM.
> - Spending huge amounts of dolars to get a RAC.
>
> But I do not honestly know their effectivity. What is the usual way of
> improving IO?
>
> Any advice from the wiser ones would be appreciated. I promise to keep
> working in the application side of the question.
>
> A final note: we are talking about reducing response time, not getting
> more throughput.
>
> -angel

If you already know what the bottleneck is (and there is always a bottleneck) then reduce it. If the problem is that you need more IO then you have to find a way to increase more IO. That may mean multiple controllers and multiple disk drives . It depends upon where the bottleneck is.

Jim Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 03:59:34 CEST

Original text of this message