Re: Oracle Reports 6 recompilation

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:36:38 -0700

FuzzyBear wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do dependencies work with Oracle reports?
>
> I have a set of developers creating reports in Report Builder 6 w/
> Oracle 8i and every time the stored packages change that the report
> uses, I am asked to recompile the reports. I guess what I am trying
> to understand is when you run the report (from the .rep file) why does
> it fail if the stored package has been changed (assuming the stored
> package is once again valid).

There is an initSID.ora parameter, whose exact name escapes me. The name includes "SIGNATURE" string.
When properly used it allows forms to continue to use the package when the body has change & while the calling argument list remains constant.

Rhetorical question--->
If/when Forms detects a package which indicates the package changed since when the Form was compiled, how can the Form be SURE that the form can still successfully use the package?
To be safe the form refuses to run until it get successfully (re)compiled against the "new" package. Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 01:36:38 CEST

Original text of this message