Chronological row-update procedure

From: Rob Boler <rob.boler_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 07:45:31 -0700

Can anyone please direct me to a precise, concise, overview description of the chronological steps that Oracle goes through in updating a row?

Ie: what is the interaction between the DB block buffers, re-do buffers, rollback buffers, datafiles, controlfiles, re-do logs, and rollback segments when a user makes a change to a row. (What gets done, to which of the above components, and at what moment?). Also, if a checkpoint is not part of the above procedure, where does it fit in, and what is the extra processing when it occurs?

Ideally, I would like to know what happens for both a committed, and, a rolled-back update.

Thanks in advance.
Rob Boler Received on Tue Aug 26 2003 - 16:45:31 CEST

Original text of this message