Re: Shared Sequencers

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2003 05:54:55 -0700

nathan_burleson_at_yahoo.com (Nathan Burleson) wrote in message news:<fcb2e0b8.0307311252.10b2ef1a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> Are there any issues with sharing sequences across databases? I want
> to be able to move data from Dev. to QA to Staging to Production and
> back, but I need to keep sequences intact.
>
> BTW: Using Oracle 8i
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> --NB

Dev->QA->Production and back?

If you want to risk hitting the production system I can imagine having DB links to the production box where the real sequence is kept. But then DEV and QA testing will not be realistic since access to the sequence will be thru the like and thus slower.

Are you sure that's what you want?

In similar conditions (conversions), I've used assigned ranges. So test conditions for both Dev. and QA are similar, and data can still be merged into production. (you really want to take data from Dev into prod.?? What kind of system needs that?)

((Why do these questions always sems to lack sufficient context?))

Maybe another idea: how is this data being moved between systems? You could fix up the sequences during the moves up the ladder. This would be incremental data so extra processing might not be too heavy.

 Moving the data back down might involve taking full exports from prod to QA and Dev. at least of those tables involved in the sequences.

I still don't like moving data that developers create into the production DB.

Did any of these suggestions help?

 Ed Prochak
 Magicinterface, Ltd.
 440-498-3700 Received on Fri Aug 01 2003 - 14:54:55 CEST

Original text of this message