OCI and getting client version

From: Ope <ope557_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2003 12:21:44 -0700

I have been searching but just can't find the info I am looking for. I need to write some functionality in a C++ program that will correctly determine the Oracle client version. Scanning the registry does not work because we have noticed that users with multiple Oracle homes have 'inconsistent' registries. In other words the registry may or may not indicate the version or Oracle that they are currently using.

From what I have seen the Oracle Home Selector simply switches the environment PATH so that the selected Oracle home is first in the path. Considering this my thought was to search through the PATH and try to load the oraclient[N].dll to figure out which version was first in the PATH. So, if I run across oraclient9.dll first then the user is running Oracle 9x.

This mechanism works but I need to know the version info in even greater detail (oracle 8.0 and 8.1 both have oraclient8.dll and I need to load different dlls for each particular instance). Is there an OCI function that I can use to get the specific version of the Oracle client? I know that the info is stored in the oraclient[N].dll, I am hoping there is a way to get it out. Received on Mon Jul 28 2003 - 21:21:44 CEST

Original text of this message