Re: database path?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 06:57:38 -0700

"Steve" <a_at_a.a> wrote in message news:<bfg3pu$238c$1_at_adenine.netfront.net>...
> hi all, I am a yr 1 university student who studying in MIS and planned to
> concentrate in database core, I would like to ask what element should I
> focus on regards to the recently or future job market? for example, to enter
> into database field, where should I start? I have some interest and little
> exp. in the networking, can I start doing some networking stuff in order to
> enter the IT job field first?( I understand that I can't be a pure DBA at
> the beginning...and later on I may consider learning some DB like
> mssql/oracle stuff) or should I start as a programmer first? If in
> programming, which type of programming should i have (c,c++,vb, java or
> else?) last question, should i also learn some web technology(is it related
> to DB?) such as asp, asp.net or php better? please advice me some? I
> appreicate from your help!
> Thanks a millions!!
>

> ---
> Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
> Complaints to news_at_netfront.net

At the rate American companies are exporting jobs to low wage overseas service centers I am not sure I would even recommend IT as a field to anyone right now. There is currently a good demand for registered nurses and demographics would indicate the demand will prove steady.

But it your heart is set on an IT job make sure your program of study includes application system design and the current hot technologies: JAVA and XML. There will still be jobs for business interface people even if the coding is moved overseas. This means you need a business minor at the least.

Just my opinion.
-- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jul 21 2003 - 15:57:38 CEST

Original text of this message