SYS_XMLGEN returning blank records, PLEASE HELP, COMPLETE NEWBIE

From: Alex <alexr14_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2003 08:30:52 -0700

Hi,
I am a complete beginner with Oracle 9i and XML within it, not XML alone though.
I am trying to do a regular SELECT statement using the SQL Scratchpad within the Oracle Enterprise Manager and am trying to have it return XML rather than the usual rows of data. Someone told me to try this:

   SELECT SYS_XMLGEN (BRN_LAST_NAME)
   FROM "USCMS"."BROKER_NAME" It is returning the proper amount of rows but they are blank. What can I do to query a regular tables within Oracle, not an XML schema, and have XML as my output rather than rows of data or blank rows?

PLEASE HELP me get started. Please send me code or samples, not links to tons of information. Received on Thu Jul 10 2003 - 17:30:52 CEST

Original text of this message