Re: Rates of change???

From: Anna C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:33:51 -0700

Top posting is NOT polite.

Madison Pruet wrote:
  Well...

> 1) To determine the fuzziness of a copy of a table as it ages
>
> 2) To determine how often an ETL process needs to be run
>
> 3) To project the impact of replication of a table
>
> etc...
>
> I suspect that other folks can think of reasons why the rate of change of a
> table might be a significant piece of information as well.
>

> "Anna C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Madison Pruet wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Is there an easy way to determine the rate of change for table?  I

> realize
>
>>>that I could do periodic select count(*) from XXX, but that would only
>>>determine the size of the table.  It would ignore updates.
>>>
>>>What I'd really like to do would be able to determine the number of

> non-read
>
>>>operations over a table so that I can determine the rate of change for

> that
>
>>>table.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help..
>>>

>>WHY?
>>
>>I can't think of any significant benefit
>>which might result from having these "facts".
>>
>>Once you had these numbers,
>>what good would they do you and
>>what would you do with them?
>>
>>What problem are you really trying to solve?
>>
>>What exact metrics exist to prove a problem even exists?
>>
>>How will you (or anybody else) know conclusively
>>that the problem has been solved?

1) Oracle read/write statistics only go down to the file level. So unless you have only one table per file, Oracle provides no decent off the shelf visibility.

2) I suspect that you could obtain such statistics using LOGMINER.

A shovel is a great tool for digging a hole, but only when you use the right end of the tool!

It seems to be your trying to find a "technical solution" to a business problem. The end users typically set the requirements for how current the data must be and are either willing to pay what it takes to meet the requirements or decide to change the requirements if/when the price is too high.

What problem are you really trying to solve?

What exact metrics exist to prove a problem even exists?

How will you (or anybody else) know conclusively that the problem has been solved? Received on Sat Jun 28 2003 - 21:33:51 CEST

Original text of this message