Hot Oracle backups using Veritas Storage Checkpoint

From: Steve Sawicki <sawics_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2003 09:41:31 -0700

Hi Gang!
  I'm getting mixed messages from some local vendors. We have a small collection (100GB) of ArchLog/NoArchLog Oracle 8.1.7 databases and just purchased Veritas DB Edition for Oracle. Our short-term goal is to use Storage Checkpoints for creation of a mounted filesystem to be backed up with Netbackup agents nightly. Our intent is to use BPNotify_Start to manage the db state (begin backup) then perform the necessary storage checkpoint(s) using the fsckptadm utility, mount the checkpoint(s) and put the DB in online mode. The backup will copy all filesystem files to tape. The mixed msg is that we may need additional software to do this in a certified manner in Veritas' eyes. Is there anyone with practical experience using this method? Does anyone know of certification information regarding Veritas's software functions and Oracle recovery?

Thanks!
Steve Received on Fri Jun 13 2003 - 18:41:31 CEST

Original text of this message