[HELP] Please, help with a simple SELECT statment

From: (wrong string) ández V. <promodeus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 22:07:38 -0400

Hi everybody.

I've been working for a just a while now with Oracle (or with any DB for that matter. I'm really new to all this), and I've encountered a problem I can't find a solution to.

I've created a table... let's call it "STUDENTS". It has a Primary Key field (St_ID) and a bunch of other fields. It also has a Foreign Key (Tut_ID), an dientification for his Tutor, a reference to the TUTORS table. The thing is, a student MAY or MAY NOT have a tutor, so the Foreign Key field Tutor MAY or MAY NOT have data; id est, it May have an ID number, or else it will be NULL. Now, here's where I'm having the problem. When I do a simple:

SELECT * FROM STUDENTS,TUTORS

                  WHERE STUDENTS.Tut_ID=TUTORS.Tut_ID;

it shows me only those rows WITH something on the Tut_ID field... and I was hoping (and need) to list every row ond STUDENTS, adding the Tutor data when it's present, ommiting it (empty fields) when is not...

Maybe there is an obvious way to do this, just a simple instruction... but I'm reourceless on this.

Pleasy. Any help would be enourmosly appreciated. thanks!

PS: Sorry for my english, if it tourns out inintelligible or horrible misspelled. Received on Sun Jun 08 2003 - 04:07:38 CEST

Original text of this message