Re: Bad Tuning, need to reset spfile

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 14:03:56 -0700

When all else fails, RTFM.
See additional comments/ answers inline below.

TX-DBA wrote:
> 9i Version 9.2.0.3
> Unix-Solaris 8
>
> I did some research before asking but really need some confirmation.
>
> 1)I dynamically increased my the following parameters on DB1 with
> scope=both except for sga, can only scope to spfile.
>
> sga_max_size -> 2G
> shared_pool_size -> 400M
> large_pool_size -> 400M
> db_cache_size -> 500M
>
> 2) Memory errors, I allocated 2Gig of the 4Gig RAM to the SGA. I guess
> I got greeedy and took too much memory. Obviously I'm a amatuer. Doh!

"memory errors"?
I doubt that your RAM (memory) is failing or actually generating errors. Rather than parphrase what you THINK is happening, please try actually POSTING the EXACT messages you are seeing.

> 3) Shutdown DB1 so DB2 & DB3 can still work. Yes, three databases on
> the same domain sharing the same RAM, not my choice.

So on my primary E5500 I'm running 6 Oracle instances. FWIW - RAM is NOT the only resource which needs to be shared.

> 4) I want to startup DB1 and reset the params. I'm afraid I might not
> even have enough memory to finish the first couple of alter system
> stmts, plus it might cause memory errors again hurting DB2 & DB3.

So go ahead & do so.
What is stopping you?

> 5) Can I do the pre-9i way and issue a startup pfile=init.ora with the
> init.ora containing new lower param values? Then dynamically update
> the params with the old low values so they are written to the spfile
> too.

yes, if you know what you are doing;
which may not really be the case.

> Also, should I do a complete startup and OPEN the database or should I
> do a NOMOUNT?

It's your choice, but unless or until the database is OPENED, it won't do much good to anyone.

> Thanks in advance!! By the way, is tuning more of an art than a
> science?

In this case simple the addition of critical resources each database consumes & comparing the total against what Solaris has been configured to provide would answer all your questions.

HTH & YMMV HAND! Received on Sat Jun 07 2003 - 23:03:56 CEST

Original text of this message