Re: Best approach to creating a snapshot

From: Robert Klemme <bob.news_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:55:40 +0200

"Neb Revod" <spammers_at_biteme.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:MPG.1945dacd1f8bf9e29896f3_at_pdx.news.speakeasy.net...
> In article <22a1a071.0306022028.53cfde9c_at_posting.google.com>,
> vir_desai_at_hotmail.com says...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am new to Access and am working on a project where it is required
> > that the user enters some inputs - uses the computation to get to the
> > result - After
> > viewing the result he/she may want to change the inputs as the result
> > is not satisfactory. What I would like to do is to keep the old inputs
> > along with the related data and let them modify the data. Once they do
> > it if they are not satisfied and if they want to go back to their
> > original inputs then they should be able to recall the earlier version
> > of inputs by a name. What is the best way to do this - I have thought
> > of having timestamp in the same database but if the users start
> > changing things very often then it will increase the size of the
> > database exponentially - if I create a copy of the database which will
> > only store these snapshots then it would mean extra maintenance. Can
> > you please help me?
>
> I gather that this will be a linear process; the user plays with things
> until a satisfactory result is arrived at. Yes?
> If so, this final result is the only thing that should be committed to
> the database. The preliminary values should be stored as variables
> within the context of the client program and kept out of the database.

I agree. And if the user should be able to retrieve the values later (i.e. in another session) by name (as the OP's statement indicates) they could be stored in an extra table with the name as key and columns appropriate to hold the entered data set.

F'up set to comp.databases

Cheers

    robert Received on Tue Jun 03 2003 - 10:55:40 CEST

Original text of this message