Re: Query-Performance

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 May 2003 07:52:22 -0700

Hello
I am wondering about a problem i have in a database that i can't reconstruct.
We have an db for looking up POI's (Points of Interest like Hotels, ...) or Address-Information. e.g return all hotels that match '%ba%' in Berlin or give me all Streets in London that match '%back%' like back-street or street-backery.

Everything is running well but in certain and very few cases, the query takes instead of centi-seconds 20 or more seconds. That happens when someone looks up name like '%the%' or '%back%'. I cant figure out a difference between these names and names like ''%str%' which also have a very low kardinality in the database. The search is done without Spatial nor Intermedia using regular b-tree-indexes. (category-id,longitude,latitude,name,poi-id).

Any idea?
Wolfgang

If there was an explain plan it will make it easier to find out what went on behind the scenes
Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Thu May 15 2003 - 16:52:22 CEST

Original text of this message