Re: How do i know my tablespace is filled up and has no more extents to allocate

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 May 2003 07:19:14 -0700

postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl (Sybrand Bakker) wrote in message news:<a20d28ee.0305112340.2fc597d5_at_posting.google.com>...
> avsrk_at_mailcity.com (Subrahmanyam Arya) wrote in message news:<25c1993e.0305090635.1125b328_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Dear oracle gurus,
> >
> > How do i know my tablespace is filled up and has no more extents to
> > allocate ?? which data dictionary views should i be querying and
> > exactly what attributes i should be looking for ??? Is it recommended
> > that i use PCTINCREASE to some thing other than zero and something low
> > so that free extents are automatically coalesced.
> >
> > -thx,
> > avsrk
>

> dba_free_space will show you how much space there is left.
> pctincrease > 0 usually causes more problems than it solves.
> Leave it alone.
>
> Regards
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I will chip in a little on coalescing free space

Pctincrease = 0 is a great idea at table level since this will overide the value of pctincrease specified at tablespace creation.This should  inturn avoid non-uniform growth of your extents. There was a table I came accross with about 4M of free space but it was not possible to create a new extent because of a very high pctincrease which eventually got the extent size to more than 4M. If your pctincrease value at tablespace level is greater than zero( 1 say ).Free space will be automatically coalesced by smon.

With the presence of uniform extent locally managed tablespaces this has been less of a hassle if you are on 8i and up Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Mon May 12 2003 - 16:19:14 CEST

Original text of this message