Re: Oracle sucks!

From: Henry Lafleur <henryl_at_bengaldevelopment.com>
Date: 2 May 2003 11:08:10 -0700

TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote in message news:<t715bv89fl023c1aa80cdpuf8349nnl8q4_at_4ax.com>...

I take issue with your points a little bit, although they are mostly valid.

> Great points ,Nuno, about 'open source' ...A lot of non-IT managers see the cost ( free) and figure that it has to be more
> economical to use free stuff than to pay big bucks for something that they don't see as much different...
>
> Those are the people who , to paraphrase someone, 'know the price of everything but the value of nothing'.
>
> The 'true' cost of something includes the purchase price, the support costs( contract or salaries to IT support staff), the
> ongoing update/maintenance changes and their cost in down time, person-hours, etc.

Open source advocates like to call this "Free Beer" versus "Free Speech". PostgreSQL is free in that 1) it costs nothing to acquire and 2) you are free to change and fix the code. I've used PostgreSQL as a low traffic web site backend, and it never even hickuped. It cost me maybe a week's worth of learning the system, but that would be the case with any database system. If you wanted to use it on a large scale, it will cost time, benchmarking, etc. (It took us a week to install and reinstall and reinstall...Oracle server last month before it decided to run fast, and not in slow motion, though--I digress--some of that was network card problems.)

But lets be honest, Oracle is not for the feint of heart. If it weren't for ORAFAQ, these newsgroups, and a bunch of other stuff, we'd be screwed. How much does Oracle charge for support, anyway?

> Also, and most importantly, IMHO, the lack of technical support from the manufacturer of the product, whose knowledge of the
> product will (or should be) greater then any end user can develop is a major drawback to open source software..

I completely disagree, also IMHO. In the Open Source software that I have used for business, I find help is easier to find than closed source software. Typically, there are consultants for any Open Source software that you can find. Also there is much support from the Internet. I have not had experience with Oracle support, but Oracle database has a very good support group on the Internet (except on my HostName question, but I digress) with these newsgroups and orafaq and other things. When you compare the Microsoft products to Open Source for support, that is where the constrasts start to come in. Then companies go out of business--Open Source defeats this by letting the community handle this.

> Add to this the need to be compatible with various OSs, existing systems, legacy data, etc. and no corporation is going to
> jump into software that is still mainly a techie project...

Also on this one, I find that Open Source works across many more platforms than proprietary software. As far as interoperability, I was feeding PostgreSQL from SQLServer using SQL Server's DTS without any problems. (You could feed it from Oracle with DTS also.) I can open Word documents in AbiWord. If that doesn't work, I can use OpenOffice. It depends on the app (just like proprietary). No doubt, Open Source has a long way to go before it is accepted by corporations, but I think that it's on its way. There are bunches of early corporate adopters already out there (Burlington, IBM, Apple, etc.). Oracle even bundles Apache with Oracle Database.

See this argument on PostgreSQL:

http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages/

I would say that Oracle is an exception, probably because it's user base comes out of the Unix community which is much friendlier than the Windows community. You can't run SQL Server much less connect to it from Linux without either a reverse engineered (open source) driver or a very expensive one that requires a Windows component.

> Just my 2c.....
>
> John

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Henry. Received on Fri May 02 2003 - 20:08:10 CEST

Original text of this message