Re: Newbie Q; any free Oracle dowloadable db app?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 04:17:33 -0700

"Jan G. Thorstensen" <jgthorst_at_online.no> wrote in message news:<0QDna.4899$b71.79319_at_news4.e.nsc.no>...
> Hi. I want to learn Oracle database development.
> I have a beginners knowlegde of Access db and
> have heard that there is a Oracle version (8i or 9i)
> that you can freely download. You don't pay any
> license fee before you sell your Oracle db app. Is
> this right?
>
> If so, where do I download Oracle9i (Personal Edition?)
>
> Also, where can I find a good tutorial for the fundamentals?
>
> PS: I have a PC Compaq (500 Mhz) with Windows98 for
> home use.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Regards
> Jan

make sure to only get the Personal Edition. Its the non-networked version. You acn actually start and stop the database from windows. just go to start programs and its in one of the database directories. Other types require command line work.

there are no tuturials for oracle on the Oracle site. go to otn.oracle.com and go to documents and 9i database. Read the concepts document. Gives a good overview. Skip the chapters on Java, XML, Oracle Objects. Too much info in my opinion. focus on the chapters that talk about Architecture and Concurrency. This is a VERY broad document and will require several reads. I suggest taking it in small chunks and skipping over other stuff that you acnt follow, since its just too dense and refers to things you dont know yet.

i suggest start by learning SQL, then PL/SQL. dont have any sites on this stuff, but Im partial to the Prentice Hall workbooks. Forgot the authors name.
They dont have much depth, but have alot of exercises which are essential when your just learning. Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 13:17:33 CEST

Original text of this message