single quote oracle select

From: oranewbie <kellywh_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2003 07:24:37 -0700

Hi,
I have an oracle table like the following:

SQL> describe platform;

 Name                          Null?    Type
 id                    varchar2(9)

But when I try to get a simple select statement. I got an erorr:

select id, count(*) from platform where id > '69'

But it only returns a max id and count up to 99 when there are id's up to 114 in this table

When I run the following query I get id's that are above 69 as expected.
select id, count(*) from platform where id > 69

However what is confusing is when I run the query below: select id, count(*) from platform where id > '100'

This returns all the id's and counts from 0-114. I would think that it would only return id's above 100. Can anyone explain the difference in using a single quote vs not using one?

Is that I must use a single quote? Is that oracle on NT is not case sensitive? Since I can use upper and lower case for table name. Thanks. Received on Fri Apr 25 2003 - 16:24:37 CEST

Original text of this message