VLDB - 10TB

From: Laurence Breeze <laurence_breeze_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 24 Apr 2003 06:04:57 -0700

I have a SQLServer database that is essentially for document handling.  It's currently 50GB. Having carried out sizing estimates for the next few years because usage is due to rise, I find it is likely to get to 600GB by the end of next year and 10TB by the end of 2005.

Are there any issues anyone is aware of that I should be considering now. The sorts of questions I'm considering are:

  • Is SQLServer the DBMS of choice given we are likely to start using oracle as well as SQLServer within 12 months.
  • I understand that the maximum size of a file is 32TB so how is it best to handle tables that are larger than this. I had thought of using multiple files per table, but are there any issues with this.
  • Backups times are likely to cause problems. How is it best to ensure they complete within the time frame available.

I know this is a vague question, but I'd appreciate hearing from those of you who deal with databases of this size.

TIA Laurence Breeze Received on Thu Apr 24 2003 - 15:04:57 CEST

Original text of this message