Re: "shutdown immediate" hangs

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:43:15 +0200

Pramod Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi
>
> I experience a problem when issuing "shutdown immediate". I know that
> all the current user sessions are disconnected and the instance is
> shutdown by this command, but in my case it just hangs. This forces me
> to do a "shutdown abort" which may be dangerous. I use Oracle 8.1.7
> under Win2000 server.

"May be dangerous"??? In what sense? There are uncountable many installations with cold backups that do a shutdown abort, and never go wrong. What's the danger?

Has been discussed in similar ng's - search archives

And a shutdown imm will still wait for running transactions to end; check if you have one of these

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel