Re: Utf8 Oracle

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 19:41:44 +0200

willevolve wrote:
> o.k.
>
> but,
>
> if You want to cover Europe & cp1250/cp1252 (easten europe), You can do
> it only with utf8.
>
> In ORACLE manuals I notice some diferences between utf8 and utf-8????
>

> mb
>
> --

No - ISO LATIN will do - you mix storage with representation. If I would type ë, and it ends up in the database as 0x081, I couldn't care less - as long as it gets displayed as ë again. Another database characterset would make the same ë getting stored as 0x0e3.
Don't know the differences between cp1250 and 1252, but I would say characterset WE8MSWIN1252, withe a national characterset of UTF8 would do nicely - you could always switch to a nvarchar2, and use UTF8, if a varchar2 doesn't work.
But, cp1250 as well as cp1252 are 8 bit charactersets.

Oh - above hex numbers are not based on reality ;-)

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel