Re: What is limit for processes param?

From: Alex Ivascu <alex_at_ivascu.comNOSPAM>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 05:23:44 GMT

Praveen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have oracle 8i on Solaris 8. While QA people were accessing db for
> load testing purpose, oracle throwed "max number processes exceeded",
> that time value for processes parameter was 500. Again they got the
> same problem. Now i have given processes param value as 10000. If give
> more than 10000, oracle is not starting and saying "Oracle Not
> Available,Shared memory realm not exists and
> No such file or direcotry".
>
> What is the maximum value for processes parameter?
> Why it keeps on increasing everytime and i have to increase the value?
> When and how this process will start or allocated when the application
> accesses db.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Praveen

You seem to have an application, that doesn't close connections gracefully - or not at all. I would fix the problem in the app, before worying about the db parameters. Just a thought.

Alex Ivascu
p.s. minimum of 6 - max is os dependent. Received on Sun Mar 09 2003 - 06:23:44 CET

Original text of this message