Re: Database Career

From: Ethel Aardvark <bigjobbies_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2003 07:13:46 -0800

Yes.
When I am recruiting I want real-world experience, I am sick of kids with multiple degrees coming in and being nead useless. I would suggest you treat your first DBA job as paid education, but go for the job with the best opportunities for learning ON THE JOB, ideally with an experienced DBA. I am not saying that you should dismiss training courses - far from it, but try to get on courses that have good relevant content rather than a "certificate" at the end! If you get multiple certifications, do not sell yuorself on that basis - I have seen many people who can do the "classroom" stuff but not the "2am with the IT director breathing down your neck" stuff!!

Oh, and good luck!