Re: any syntax similar as " with select " clause in ibm db2?

From: Chris Leonard <s_p_a_m_chris_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:54:38 -0600

Hello John,

I'm not sure that I understand your DB2-speak entirely, but Oracle's implementation of inline views might interest you. Basically, an inline view is a query that appears in the FROM clause. Here is a trivial example (using the SCOTT schema):

    SELECT * FROM (SELECT * FROM DEPT); Here is a only-slightly-less-trivial example:

    SELECT EMP.EMPNO, EMP.DEPTNO, DCOUNTS.TOTAL_EMPS     FROM EMP
    JOIN (SELECT DEPTNO, COUNT(*) AS TOTAL_EMPS     FROM EMP GROUP BY DEPTNO) DCOUNTS
    ON EMP.DEPTNO = DCOUNTS.DEPTNO; That's not very similar to the DB2 syntax, but it does allow you to create views on-the-fly in your queries which have different grouping levels, which seemed to be what you were interested in.

--
Cheers,
Chris

Chris Leonard, The Database Guy