Re: schema PUBLIC

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 02:09:42 -0800

niy38_at_hotmail.com (Niy) wrote in message news:<55dd405a.0302261417.4fbb2301_at_posting.google.com>...
> my database has a defalut schema called PUBLIC, but I can not find
> the username in dba_users, that means no user called PUBLIC,
> can anyone explain it?
>
> In addtition, every user belongs to user group PUBLIC, what does that
> mean? what's the definition of user group?

PUBLIC is a tric to provide all users in the database access and privilege in one go, it has been there since at least Oracle 5 and of course it is documented.
The userid for the user PUBLIC is hardcoded in *all* dictionary views.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand Bakker Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 11:09:42 CET

Original text of this message