Re: schema PUBLIC

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 07:43:03 -0800

niy38_at_hotmail.com (Niy) wrote in message news:<55dd405a.0302261417.4fbb2301_at_posting.google.com>...
> my database has a defalut schema called PUBLIC, but I can not find
> the username in dba_users, that means no user called PUBLIC,
> can anyone explain it?
>
> In addtition, every user belongs to user group PUBLIC, what does that
> mean? what's the definition of user group?

From the Oracle 8i Concepts manual >>

Each database contains a user group called PUBLIC. The PUBLIC user group provides public access to specific schema objects, such as tables and views, and provides all users with specific system privileges. Every user automatically belongs to the PUBLIC user group.

As members of PUBLIC, users can see (select from) all data dictionary tables prefixed with USER and ALL. Additionally, a user can grant a privilege or a role to PUBLIC. All users can use the privileges granted to PUBLIC.
<<

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 16:43:03 CET

Original text of this message