Re: Oracle 8i: how to do a full import to the same database?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at__at_peldik.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:49:18 +0200

Hello!

Don't crosspost!

Since full export contains also CREATE TABLESPACE statements you could just drop all tablespaces including contents except SYSTEM tablespace and you might also want to drop all users except SYS.

Before dropping tablespaces you should verify first, that SYS user doesnt have any objects in tablespaces to be dropped, if you have some sys objects in TOOLS tablespace for example, don't drop this tablespace just drop the objects from it which do not belong to sys.

(normally you shouldn't have sys objects outside system tablespace, but sometimes it is the case - AUD$ for example)

Import creates the datafiles with REUSE option, so your old (unused) datafiles will be overwritten in the operating system.

You should do a backup of your current DB before trying to import, in case something goes wrong..

Tanel.