Re: Migrating to 9iAS from Developer/2000

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:18:46 +0100

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 14:05:33 +0000, JustAnotherDBA wrote:

> It just bothers me that I have to have a database just for AS . I don't
> think you would want to use some database in a shared mode - some AS and
> some application stuff.
>
> Mainly because AS requires Internet Directory being installed in the
> infrastructure database.
>
> So, just a lot of stuff/overhead that doesn't seem necessary to me just to
> run forms server.

It should come as no surprise that Oracle, given half a chance, will try to sell you a database license if all you want is a middle tier solution.

If it doesn't wrap in a database, Oracle doesn't want to touch it.

For the middle tier, Oracle chose to implement LDAP in a database. The portal stuff has to go in a database as well.

IMHO Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Sun Feb 16 2003 - 18:18:46 CET

Original text of this message