Re: Migrating to 9iAS from Developer/2000

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:14:57 GMT

"JustAnotherDBA" <jadba_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in news:1dP3a.15449$sy2.13493_at_fe03.atl2.webusenet.com:

> I just don't see why Oracle has tied the forms/report servers to the
> need for an infrastructure database which has to have the Oracle

> Internet Directory installed in it.
>
> More stuff to support that doesn't seem necessary .

The OID is required to support Single Sign On (SSO); which allows seamless integration between Portal, Forms & Reports. Without SSO you'd have to authenicate at least once for each component. Remember that inherently the web is a stateless creature. In a worst case scenario you'd have to authenticate between every screen.

You can have computing Secure, Simple, or Cheap; pick any two from above. Received on Sun Feb 16 2003 - 19:14:57 CET

Original text of this message