Re: How can I make a simple backup in oracle 8i

From: Gabriel Gonzalez <no-spam_at_no-spam.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:02:47 -0800

Dude, backups are a very serious matter in Oracle... Please tell me you have a relatively small database!!!

Whatever you do, be warned that you must read a lot about backups... Things can get hairy and there are several options, it takes a lot of reading to determine what's best for you.

Having said that, if you have a relatively small database (ie, a could gigs max, give or take), and you must make a backup immediately, then I would recommend using the exp ("exp" means "export") command to get a dump file of your DB.

Here's a sample command line (assuming Windows):

exp system/manager file=c:\target-file.dmp log=C:\dump-log.log buffer=8192000 consistent=y full=y recordlength=8192

I would suggest you do the following:

  1. Check the documentation for exp. The parameters above may not even be available on your version of Oracle. Make sure what I suggested above makes sense for what you are trying to do. Get a sense of what you can use on your platform by running exp help=y
  2. Run your export. Make sure it exported everything successfully.
  3. READ! READ! READ! There is a lot for you to read regarding Oracle backups. This is almost a science in itself, probably the most involved part of administering an Oracle DB.

You should also test your backup. The corresponding command to exp is imp. Try setting up a test machine running Oracle and try to import the dmp file you created with exp on the live server. Practice makes perfect and you do not want to be caught with your pants down if your live DB goes down!

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 16:02:47 CET

Original text of this message