Re: Intel vs Sparc

From: Candido Dessanti <candido.dessanti_at_blunet.it>
Date: 12 Feb 2003 09:10:21 -0800

> We recently moved some Oracle databases running on SuSE 7.x, 4 CPU, 4gb
> ram to Sun 280R's, 2x750Mhz CPU's, 4gb RAM, and the difference was night
> and day. Internal Oracle SGA contention disappeared (well almost

Really? Another guy had a different experience from yours. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=linux+oracle+sga+contention&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=acua71%24sai97%241%40ID-82084.news.dfncis.de&rnum=2

Anyway you should comprare apple to apple and try an enterprise class linux like RHAS2.1 or SLES8 to Solaris. In 3 months or so 64Bit Intel CPUs will be avaiable, and becnhmarks on linux IA64+ Oracle 10i looks promising and Sun will be the primary target ;)