Re: Multi-threaded OCI Application Does Not Scale

From: Keith D Gregory <kdgregory_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2003 13:31:27 -0800

cary_at_nams.net (Cary Lapoint) wrote in message news:<6b0e1783.0301231314.1c05a725_at_posting.google.com>...

> I have written a multi-threaded (pthreads) OCI program that INSERT's
> large quantities of data into an Oracle database. It works very
> reliably but does not scale well at all. To be specific, as the
> number of threads increases, the total import rate decreases slightly!

Today I was reading a Java tech tip that recommended using Oracle's "thin" JDBC driver because the OCI-based driver had some sections that were single-threaded. I would guess that threading is actually happening in the OCI library, rather than in anything at the Java level.

Unfortunately, I do not have a reference for you, but searching java.sun.com might help. Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 22:31:27 CET

Original text of this message