Re: Oracle 817 - Fresh install, what accounts?

From: dg <dvillalo_at_avega.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2003 12:55:19 -0800

They refer to two of the adminstrator accounts created with the database.

If I may use a unix example, the SYS account is the equivalent of ROOT access to the database. SYSTEM is another administrative account with almost as much authority.

If you chose the default installation & had it create a database for you, then you also have a user named SCOTT with a password of TIGER.

You log into these accounts from a tool, such as sqlplus, oracle enterprise manager etc. (these were also part of the install & you'll find them under "programs, Oracle - <oracle_home>" off of your start menu.

For example, to log into the database as the "SYS" user, you would go to sqlplus, type in "SYS" for the user, "CHANGE_ON_INSTALL" for the password, and (based on your example) "uktest" for the host string (you can also leave the last one blank if you're logging in from the machine where Oracle is installed.