Re: Connectivity Problem for oracle7.3 on SCO unix

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2003 10:23:17 -0800

imranserver_at_yahoo.com (Muhammad Imran) wrote in message news:<ed222491.0301190039.4ba82e25_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello All!
>
> This is my first mail to google groups.I have a problem.Please guide
> me.
> I have installed oracle 7.3 on two SCO unix machines.I want to connect
> them.
> I stared listener and create a service on one machine for other.when i
> tried to connectI recieve the following error.
> ORA-12154 :TNS unable to resolve service name.
> I checked TNSNAMES.ora the entery for service was added in it.(OK)
> I also checked the SQLNET.ora for naming methods.TNSNAMES was
> selected.(OK)

  1. To connect from machine 1 to machine 2, you need to have a running database on machine 2, listener configured and running on machine 2, Sql*net configured on machine 1. Check sqlnet.ora and see if names.default_domain is listed. Comment it out and use full service_name from tnsnames.ora file e.g. from following tnsnames.ora entry,

TEST.WORLD =
    (DESCRIPTION = ..... Use TEST.WORLD in your connection string.

2) To connect two databases between different machines, you need to have everything configured as step 1 and then use dblink.

> i delivered 'ADAPTERS' command and result was,
> IPC adapter.
> BEQ adapter.
> i.e TCP/IP protocol adapter was not installed.
> I go in customized mode in order to install TCP/IP protocol adapter
> But I did not find any option for that However,It should be there.
> I think i have missed patch for TCP/IP protocol adapter which is i
> think TCPPA patch for oracle7.3.
> plese anybody tell me
> 1-Am i right or there is some other problem?

TCP is the most common protocol used to connect to Oracle database so you should install TCP on your server if does not already exist.

> 2-if i am right then how can i get TCPPA patch?
> 3=How can i link after installing TCP/IP protocol adapter.
> 4-Can i connect forms6i running on windows 2000 to oracle7.3 on SCO
> unix if i can tell me how?

I would suggest you download an 7.3 on SCO install document from http://metalink.oracle.com... if one exists and follow the instructions.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Sun Jan 19 2003 - 19:23:17 CET

Original text of this message