Oracle 8i database doesn't shutdown automatically

From: Pascal Gineste <pgineste_at_gfi.fr>
Date: 15 Jan 2003 06:42:54 -0800

I have 8i (8.1.7) database that starts automatically when OracleServices<SID> is started from the control panel/Services.

I can stop the database using .cmd file that contains such line:

stop.bat
oradim.exe -shutdown -sid <SID> -usrpwd <MDP> -SHUTTYPE "INST" -SHUTMODE "N" oradim.exe -shutdown -sid <SID> -usrpwd <MDP> -SHUTTYPE "SRVC" -SHUTMODE "N" With this batch, the database is closed correctly, and this operation is traced in <Sid>Alrt.log

However, when performing all this two lines in one step in my stop.bat command file:

oradim.exe -shutdown -sid <SID> -usrpwd <MDP> -SHUTTYPE "SRVC,INST" -SHUTMODE "N" the service is directly stopped without closing the database properly (no shutdown is performed; even an abort one): no log is traced in <Sid>alrt.log and the database restarts in recovery mode.

So, when i stop the service OracleServices<Sid> manually in the control panel/services; it performs the same tasks: kill the services without shutdowning the database properly.

I have checked the registry settings in
HKLM\Software\Oracle\Home<N>
and i have got :

  ORA_<SID>_SHUTDOWN = "TRUE"
  ORA_<SID>_SHUTDOWNTYPE = "i"
  ORA_<SID>_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT = "60"

Rem: 60 is enough because it took 2 seconds to kill the service (without shutdowning the instance ....).

I tried to delete the service; delete the entries related to this <Sid> from the registry and recreate the service with:

C:\ORANT81\bin\oradim -new -sid <SID> -startmode manual C:\ORANT81\bin\oradim -edit -sid <SID> -usrpwd oracle -SHUTTYPE SRVC -SHUTMODE i
C:\ORANT81\bin\oradim -edit -sid <SID> -startmode auto

-> it recreates the same entries in the registry.

However, the problem is still there ????? Can you help me ?
I would like this database to shutdown automatically when machine is shutting down.

PS: SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE) or (NTS)
-> the behavior is similar.

Thank you in advance,
P. Gineste Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 15:42:54 CET

Original text of this message