Oracle treatment of fully qualified names

From: Peter Nolan <peternolan9_at_eircom.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:03:37 -0000

Hi All,
I am interested in Oracle treatment of fully qualified names.......

I am testing an ODBC app against Oracle......when it runs against SQL Server I specify the fully qualified name as in catalog.schema.table.

When I run the app and it issues the following command I get the following result in Oracle...

SQL> SELECT * FROM oragdb1.system.in_customer_dim2 ; SELECT * FROM oragdb1.system.in_customer_dim2

                            *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended

When I change the statement to be SELECT * FROM system.in_customer_dim2 it works.

It seems that Oracle is not likingthe fully qualified name.

This is fine and I can change the code to only provide a two part name to Oracle. I was just wondering if the standard with Oracle was to only ever supply schema.tablename in SQL statements, or perhaps there is some option or some other format to specify the database name in the SQL??? Anybody else out there writing ODBC apps against Oracle?

Best Regards

Peter Nolan Received on Mon Jan 13 2003 - 21:03:37 CET

Original text of this message