Name Server?

From: CodeToad <MayhemZero_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:42:24 GMT

I posted this in Linux setup also, but hope someone here can help.

I am not a Linux expert. A friend of mine has a linux setup where he is using a Linksys cable router and as his DHCP server, for his Linux and Win2k systems. He is a DBA. On his Linux machine, he has Oracle 8.1.x installed or 9.x.x. In either case, those familiar with Oracle know the TNSNAMES.ORA file wants a system name not an IP address for resolution.

My question is, how does he adjust his system to get a name?

Does he have to make the Linux box the DNS server? Does he have to have the name in TNSNAME.ORA?

Please help. I hope I stated this correctly. Received on Tue Jan 07 2003 - 15:42:24 CET

Original text of this message