Re: Name Server?

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 20:58:24 +0100

CodeToad wrote:
> I posted this in Linux setup also, but hope someone here
> can help.
>
> I am not a Linux expert. A friend of mine has a linux setup
> where he is using a Linksys cable router and as his DHCP server,
> for his Linux and Win2k systems. He is a DBA. On his Linux
> machine, he has Oracle 8.1.x installed or 9.x.x. In either case, those
> familiar with Oracle know the TNSNAMES.ORA file wants a
> system name not an IP address for resolution.
Not true! You can perfectly well define the ip-address in the host= part of tnsnames.ora.
Usually, though, computer names stay the same, whereas ip-addresses change, so there is a good thing to say for using names, not ip-addresses.

> My question is, how does he adjust his system to get a name?
>
> Does he have to make the Linux box the DNS server?
> Does he have to have the name in TNSNAME.ORA?

Try localhost (or ip: 127.0.0.1) if the database(s) reside locally, or switch to IPC or BEQueth protocols

Frank Received on Tue Jan 07 2003 - 20:58:24 CET

Original text of this message