Re: Copy Oracle Datafiles from NT -> W2K

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:25:09 +0100

Giuseppe wrote:
> Hi, I have a question and maybe someone can help. We installed Oracle
> 7.3.3 on Windows NT, patched it to 7.3.4, then upgraded and migrated
> it till 8.1.7.4, still under NT. We saved the files, cleaned the
> machine and installed Windows W2K, because an upgrade fo Windows NT to
> W2K always crashed.
>
> After the installation of W2K, we installed Oracle 8.1.7.4. We deleted
> this datafiles and moved the datafiles under it, which we created on
> NT. We can mount the db, but at the open it crashes with ora-01092. I
> tried everything like 'recover... backup controlfiles' or 'recover
> until...', still the same.
>
> I think that basically the files from NT to W2K are not compatible,
> even if they're NTFS, I think something in NTFS changed between NT and
> W2K, but if we would migrate the OS, we wouldn't have a problem.
>
> Can somebody agree to this ? or give me a hint ? We really don't know
> what to do. We didn't want to do export/import to save time, DB is
> 95G.
>
> thanks for your help

Should be... if you migrated from NT4 SP6a to W2k SP1 or less... Looked up ora-01092 for you (my pleasure), and it states:

ORA-01092 ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced

     Cause: The instance connected to was terminated abnormally, probably due to a SHUTDOWN ABORT. The current process was forced to disconnect from the instance.

     Action: Contact the database administrator to determine when the instance is restarted. Attempt to reconnect after the instance is running again.

Did you create the service, and is it running? Are there problems with that? Anything in the log files?

Frank Received on Tue Dec 24 2002 - 10:25:09 CET

Original text of this message