Re: TNSNAMES.ORA Error

From: Alex Ivascu <alex_at_ivascu.comNOSPAM>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:41:23 GMT

Scott Crane wrote:

> I am experiencing problems using Oracle 9.2 with a Win2K
> machine with SP3. I cannot connect to a database with SQL
> Plus. I receive the following error: 'ORA-12535 TNS:
> operation timed out'. I have verified I have the same
> TNSNAMES.ora file as my coworker does and it resides in the
> correct directory (...\network\admin\). He can connect to
> the database but does not have SP3 installed. I tried
> another Win2K machine of mine which had SP3 and I receive
> the same error.
>
> As a side note, I also receive the same error if I use
> Oracle Enterprise Manager.
>
> Rumor has it the issue deals with SP3. Any thoughts?
>
> I am unable to uninstall SP3 since my Win2K build had SP3
> integrated with it. So, I am looking for a solution that
> does not require me to wipe my machine clean and install
> Win2K w/o SP3.
>
> Thanks in advance...

Orcl w/ SP3 works great. Haven't experienced any problems, nor have I heard that there are incomatibility issues.

The only time when I saw this error message is with Firewalls (but, it can also be related to slow Networks). Make sure the port that you're connecting to is open.

Try to "ping" the ip address or hostname from the client. Check the timing response and see if it is acceptable. If it is not, then you may need to increase the CONNECT_TIMEOUT_<listener_name> value in the listener.ora file on the Server.

Take a look at Note:119706.1 on http://metalink.oracle.com/

It should be useful.

--
Alex Ivascu