Re: Tablespace DDL

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2002 06:32:19 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0211111731.70d7abda_at_posting.google.com>...
> lthompson003_at_yahoo.com (L Thompson) wrote in message news:<a8596b26.0211111015.172545bc_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Anyone know of a way that I can pull the DDL for the tablespaces out
> > of a database. I am moving an Oracle database from one server to
> > another. The two database have different blocksizes so I cannot use
> > the transportable tablespace feature. The new database is 8.1.7 and
> > the old one is 8.0.3. I am trying to avoid going in and manually
> > recreating all the tablespaces in the new database.
>

> There are plenty of scripts floating about and in various
> administration books and gui tools of the form SELECT 'CREATE
> TABLESPACE '||TABLESPACE_NAME||' STORAGE (INITIAL '||INITIAL_EXTENT...
> ||';' FROM DBA_TABLESPACES, or you can simply use exp/imp features
> with no table data, or perhaps use the unix strings command grepping
> for "CREATE TABLESPACE" on the export file...
>
> The advantage of scripts is that you can put some thought into maybe
> fixing things before you load the data.
>
> Maybe this will work for you:
> http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=1020180.6
>
> jg
There a some features that are found in 8.1.7 that are not in 8.0.3. Right away I will think of temporary tablespaces and the availability of both locally managed and dictionary managed tablespaces. This might not be an answer to your question as such but may be a reason why if you choose to ,you could have to manually make some alterations in the ddl anyway
HTH
Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Tue Nov 12 2002 - 15:32:19 CET

Original text of this message