Re: Where to publish an article?

From: Alexander Kuznetsov <Alexander.Kuznetsov_at_marshmc.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2002 12:42:21 -0800

> Perhaps I did not quite understand, but how is your process more
> efficient than the Oracle Sequence Numbers.

if the numbers are consumer in the middleware, you save a lot: a rounf trip across network for every number

> Also instead of defining version_id as number, define it as date or
> timestamp and set it to sysdate or systimestamp and using that in the
> where clause should eleminate the 'nasty problem'

No way. On a powerful box there may be several updates with the same timestamp value. With DB2, timestamp are accurate to microseconds (0.000001 sec) and still attempts to have a unique index on MODIFIED_AT _DO_ fail on fast enough machines Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 21:42:21 CET

Original text of this message