Error Starting Net8 Assistant on UNIX

From: bfogartyjr <bfogarty_at_gaports.com>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 11:58:45 -0700

I try to start Net8 Assistant on a UNIX box:

$ /u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/bin/net8asst.sh

and get the following messages:

The directory = /u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/network/admin/ Check NL Exception: oracle.network.nl.NLException

Can someone help me understand the meaning of these messages?

(Background: I recently manually edited the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files on the UNIX box and added a new database. Users running an application that accesses the database successfully connect to it.

I use Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) to schedule backups of databases on the UNIX box. OEM runs on an NT machine. I used SQL Net Easy Configuration to update the tnsnames file on that machine. When I try to have Enterprise Manager "discover" the new database, it does not find it. Instead I get error VNI-4026.

I have heard that sometimes manually editing the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files causes problems. I am trying to use the UNIX Net8 Assistant to create new tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files. I want to see if that fixes my OEM problem.) Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 20:58:45 CEST

Original text of this message