Re: oracle + java = slow?

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:17:01 +0200

On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:20:55 +0100, Géry wrote:

> String sourceURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = server1.info.bt.co.uk) (PROTOCOL = TCP) (Host =
> server1) (Port = 1521) ) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = oracle)
> (SERVER=DEDICATED) ))";
> databaseConnection = DriverManager.getConnection(sourceURL,usr,psw);
>
> The above two lines of java code work but the response is so slow. It takes
> perhaps fifteen minutes to connect. My personal felling is that there is a
> problem with Oracle itself on the server. I believe so because other
> applications connecting to the same Oracle database have similar problems.
> Is there a way to check the Oracle server. I tried logging in Oracle console
> and the net manager, I cannot see anything wrong but frankly I do not know
> where to look.
>
> PS: I know ordinarily the first line should be something like:
> String sourceURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_server1.info.bt.co.uk:1521:oracle";
> but this did not work and the above is the work arround.
>
> many thanks in advance

I'd go back to the string that did not work and make it work. Even though the thin driver under certain circumstances is a bit slower than the oci driver, connecting should be a matter of millisecs.

Try this call

Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url, userid, password);

after you load the driver.

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Mon Oct 07 2002 - 17:17:01 CEST

Original text of this message