Re: Native ORACLE SQL language command for DESC(RIBE)

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 19:40:22 -0700

samuel_ji_at_hotmail.com (Sam) wrote in message news:<74c4b78.0208140924.1e2ab8d8_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello, the list,
>
> In SQL*PLUS, I could use DESC or DESCRIBE command to describing a
> table. But I do not think this command is part of the native ORACLE
> SQL language. Does any of you know the ORACLE SQL counterpart for this
> command?
>
> TIA,
>
> Sam

Not sure what you mean by "native ORACLE SQL language" or what exactly you are trying to do. DESC(RIBE) is used in SQL*Plus to quickly look at the structure of a table. i.e. Column names, datatype and nullable or not.
I don't think there is any one word command beside DESC to describe structure of a table. However, if you want to get to table structure from a query or a stored procedure then, you can query DBA_TABLES, USER_TABLES, DBA_TAB_COLUMNS, USER_TAB_COLUMNS etc.

//Rauf Sarwar Received on Thu Aug 15 2002 - 04:40:22 CEST

Original text of this message