Re: A PL/SQL performance question

From: Jusung Yang <jusungyang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2002 10:10:32 -0700

Well, look up ORACLE DOC on all the tricks about database links and distributed database. You can not do a "select... from.." on a column of CLOB data type over the db link, the way you can locally. Not sure about columns of object type, should be easy to verify though. The bigger problem arise when you try to pull data over db link and process them locally. You want to avoid it if you can help it. You just don't want to pull thousands, or millions of records from the remote server to process them locally and in the process bog down the network. It is self-evident, no?