Re: recover database

From: Brent <bpathakis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 11:55:51 -0700

"Oliver Budde" <oliver.budde_at_student.uni-mageburg.de> wrote in message news:<agv9q3$kkq$1_at_graf.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>...
> Hello,
>
> I have just lost my operating system(win2000) where I installed a oracle9i.
> Now I have got a problem I want to recover my
> database from the files that are stored in the oradata-directory.
> My strategy was to install the oracle9i again and I hoped that the
> installation routine automatically discovers the old
> installation, but this doesn't work. So I tried it manually, but I failed,
> because I can't repair the registry, so that
> a tns-listner starts for my old db.
> What can I do to recover my old db from the oracle files?
>
> Greetings
> Oliver
Hi,

    If you have your database files intact (control files, redo, datafiles) AND a parameter file (init.ora) then what you need to is to recreate the instance using oradim (from a command prompt):

              oradim -NEW -SID mysid -INTPWD mypwd

     mysid is the name of your instance and intpwd is your internal password.

    Then you can login into sqlplus worksheet as sysdba and:

              startup pfile=c:\init.ora

    and your old db should startup again, assuming the files aren't damaged.

    Good luck. Received on Tue Jul 16 2002 - 20:55:51 CEST

Original text of this message